Mama S here. It has been 3 months since we decided to go with the new agency. We are very close to being licensed and taking an infant into our home. It has been a long journey. First, we had to work with the new agency and getting almost ALL the paperwork again. Our previous agency was not gracious in letting us go and refused to hand over our packet. What they did hand over was redacted and was missing key pieces. That lack of co-operation solidified our decision. That was not the agency for us. Secondly, we had to work with Patrick. He met with the shy dog specialist and a few times and it was determined that it would be safe to bring an infant into our home and continue to work with him on training. He loves being a working dog and is thriving with the tips/techniques that we were given. Thirdly, we moved our wedding up 9 months. We did this out of fear that if we waited that we would not be able to legally get married. It was less stressful to move our wedding up 9 months than to wait a year in a state of constant fear and panic.
Where does that leave us? Less than 60 days from our wedding with an agency that has been supportive of our wants and needs the whole way. There has been no pressure to expand our age range and in fact, the only encouragement was to take in older children for respite as we are able. That is something we are more than comfortable with.
We are assuming that we will be licensed within the next month (we have been putting off meetings due to wedding things and waiting for silly Iowa to send back my background check!) with the hope that we have a child in our home within the next 6. We recognize that we are looking for a specific child and that we will more than likely have to wait for that child to come along.
The room is ready and our hearts are open. We will keep you posted when our home grows from two to three, for however long we are privileged to call that child ours.